• Home
  • Academics
  • Degrees
  • Undergraduate Program
  • Minor
  • Frequently Asked Questions

Undergraduate Program

Is Economics for Me?
To find out, you should ask yourself: Am I interested in such public policy issues as unemployment, inflation, public debt, and environmental quality? Do I read the business pages to follow the news about interest rates, the financial markets, and the banking industry? Do I have the curiosity to puzzle out complex problems? Do I communicate well orally and in writing?

What Degrees are Offered?
The Department of Economics offers three undergraduate degrees: a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), a Bachelor of Science (B.S.), and a Bachelor of General Studies (B.G.S.).

Which Degree Should I Get?
The degree you choose will depend somewhat upon your career plans. For most students, the B.A. degree is best. This degree requires four semesters of a foreign language in addition to several courses in the natural sciences, the social sciences, and the humanities. It is the choice of students interested in a broad, well-rounded liberal arts education. The B.A. degree permits a double major — a popular option with many students. An economics degree complements such majors as English, political science, history, and math.

If you want more structured and extensive study in economics, you might choose the B.S. degree. This degree requires more economics, mathematics, and quantitative methods courses. The B.S. also permits a double major. An economics degree will give you solid preparation for advanced studies in many different fields, including law and business. Some economics graduates choose to enter KU’s combined law and Master of Arts in economics degree program.

When deciding between the B.A. and B.S., think about whether you want the depth in economics that the B.S. requires or the educational breadth offered by the B.A. degree. You may be interested in economics courses with the intention of entering the School of Education or the School of Business in your junior year.

If you are interested in high school teaching, you should consult the School of Education Welcome Center, J.R. Pearson Hall, 1122 W. Campus Rd., Room 208, Lawrence, KS 66045-3101, (785) 864-9619 or 9616, e-mail: soeadvising@ku.edu, to find out more about the social studies program.

If you are interested in a degree in business, contact the University of Kansas, School of Business, Undergraduate Advising Center, Summerfield Hall, 1300 Sunnyside Ave., Room 206, Lawrence, KS, 66045-7585, 785-864-3844.

What Kind of Job Can I Get?
Your opportunities will be determined by your interests, your imagination, and your willingness to work. An undergraduate degree won’t make you a functioning economist, but it will prepare you for entry-level jobs in banking, finance, business, or government.

You will learn to apply logical analysis to complex social problems. These skills in problem solving and analysis will make you a valuable employee regardless of where you work.

KU graduates have found jobs with the Federal Reserve Bank, investment firms, and large and small companies in the private and public sectors.

With advanced studies, you can go on to work as an economic researcher, university teacher, or consultant.

What Courses Will I be Taking?
The Department of Economics is in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, often called CLAS or the College. First-year students in the College take English composition, math, and courses that fulfill general education requirements. The CLAS chapter of the Undergraduate Catalog gives more detailed information.

If you are studying for a B.A. in economics, your first year's schedule may look something like this:

First Semester Hours Second Semester Hours
ENGL 101 Composition - 3
MATH 101 Algebra - 3
Laboratory science - 4-5
Foreign language I - 5

TOTAL = 16
ENGL 102 Composition and Literature - 3
MATH 115 Calculus I - 3
ECON 142 Principles of Microeconomics - 3
HSES 108 Basic Skill Instruction in _____ - 1
Foreign language II - 5

TOTAL = 15

What Will My Program Be Like?
Each economics major must earn 124 credit hours to graduate, and most students average 15 to 16 credit hours, or about four or five courses, a semester. Economics is an intellectually challenging curriculum, so as you progress through your studies, you can expect the demands on your study time to increase.

How Often Are Economics Courses Offered? 
Core Economics courses are offered every semester. Many elective courses are offered every Fall and Spring semesters. Some elective courses are offered less frequently. A small number of elective courses are offered in the Summer. Your advisor can help you plan your schedule. 

What Economics Courses are Offered in the Summer? 
Introductory economics, microeconomics, and macroeconomics are regularly offered during the summer session. Due to the small summer sessions, staffing usually permits only one other economics course. 

How Do I Get Into The Department
Once you are enrolled in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, you can take economics courses. You become a major when you fill out a major declaration form in the department office.

Can I Transfer To KU, Credit For Economics Courses Taken At Other Universities? 
If I plan to take an economics course at another institution, check with the Director of Undergraduate Programs regarding the transfer of credit hours to the University of Kansas. Do this before enrolling at another university. 

Can I Get A Scholarship?
The department awards scholarships to outstanding upper-division students based on academic achievement. The prestigious A.J. Boynton Scholarships are awarded to sophomores and juniors. Contact the department for details.

For information about scholarships based on academic merit, diversity, major, and residence, write or call the University of Kansas, Office of Admissions and Scholarships, 1502 Iowa St., Lawrence, KS 66045-7576, 785-864-3911, http://www.admissions.ku.edu/.

For information about grants, loans, and other need-based financial aid, write or call KU's Office of Student Financial Aid, Strong Hall, 1450 Jayhawk Blvd., Room 50, Lawrence, KS 66045-7535, 785-864-4700.

Where Can I Get More Information?
For more information about the Department of Economics and answers to questions about scholarships, career opportunities and advising, write or call the University of Kansas, Department of Economics, Undergraduate Director, 415 Snow Halll, Lawrence, KS 66045-7585, (785) 864-3501, http://www.economics.ku.edu/.

What If My Interests Change After I Come To KU?
You might want to direct your interests to another major such as mathematics or political science, or you may decide to finish your undergraduate studies in the School of Business. If you have a strong mathematics ability, you might want to contact the School of Engineering about one of its majors.

You have a lot of options because KU has hundreds of programs from which to choose. As a student in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, you will be taking courses in many subjects. One of them will lead you toward a major and a career you will enjoy.