Gradation with Honors
Graduation with honors in the Department of Economics is limited to students who meet these criteria:
A. Complete all economics major requirements for the B.A., B.G.S., or B.S. degree and achieved a grade-point average of 3.5 or above in all economics courses.
B. Complete Economics 697, Senior Research Honors.
1) Prior to enrollment in Econ 697, the student must arrange an agreement with a faculty member who will direct the student's research activity and honors thesis.
2) Ideally the student works on his/her research project thesis the 12 months prior to graduation.
C. Submit and defend a research study before an exam committee. See department's honors committee composition policy.
1) The student must submit a printed and electronic copy of the completed research study to the current Undergraduate Program Director by Stop Day of the semester in which the student graduates. Failure to meet the submission deadline will result in graduation without honors.
2) The examining committee, on the basis of the research study and its oral defense, will decide whether the student shall graduate with honors in economics.
3) Note: If a student enrolled in Econ 697 and elects not to submit and defend the research study, then the student will not graduate with honors in economics. In this case, the faculty member directing the research project must determine the grade in Econ 697.